Sunday, June 14, 2009

Where is the Smog?

I arrived in Beijing last Friday but struggled to overcome the "great firewall" and get my blog online. However, I am all set up now and ready to go. 

The first thing I noticed when I arrived in Beijing is how modern everything is. I have been to Beijing a couple of times in the past, but in the last three years, things have really changed. The first thing I noticed was the air. Coming from Hong Kong, I expected the air to be even worse than at home. So far it hasn't been. The day I arrived was incredibly clear and sunny with seemingly unrestricted visibility. 

While class has not technically started yet, my Chinese is already getting much better. I went to go play basketball the other day on one of the local courts in Beijing. Basketball has really taken off and is really popular in Beijing to an extent that I did not expect. Anyways, playing basketball was great for me because when I got there, I couldn't communicate with most of the people I was playing with. Thus, by observing, I learned to call a foul (and argue "Zhen de ma?"), say the score amoungst other things. I really think this is the best way to learn and will try to get out of the dorms a but more to put myself in more situations like this.

Thats all I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment