Monday, June 15, 2009

Mian Bao Che

I just finished class for the day. We have four hours of zhongwen ke without much of a break and it is very mentally draining. However, I have little time to spare. I have homework to do and about 60 han zi to memorize. In my opinion, one of my favorite parts of Chinese is the idioms. We learned mian bao che (which literally translates to "bread loaf car") today. I had never realized that a van looked like a bread loaf. Silly me.

Tomorrow we start our language pledge and I will not be able to speak any English, although I can still email and blog in my native tongue. It is going to be really tough. I really just don't know enough Chinese to flesh out my personality and make friends just speaking Chinese. It will, however, be great for my Chinese. 

I am going to the gym later today. I only mention this because the gym is called Hokay Gym which really makes me laugh. I thought I would pass that on. I might have to have a couple more jiao zi as a post workout meal. They are delicious. 

The air has been a little bit worse today and more of the Beijing I was expecting to see. 

1 comment:

  1. The language pledge is a fascinating creature. Looking forward to your thoughts about it. Also, yes, apparently the Beijing air is becoming more of itself vs the great weather you had when you arrived.

    ReplyDelete